Sunday 24 February 2013

i will be


The last week has been a great one for my training. After a successful hill walk last Sunday, I was motivated to go to the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday morning and I was feeling really good for it. I am learning that I shouldn't let myself be daunted by the big picture, every small improvement counts and will help me in my trek.

An example. I was encouraged a few days ago when walking to the pub with my flatmate when she told me I was walking too fast and that I needed to slow down. Me! I think she was about as shocked by this as I was, as a general rule I can't even pretend to keep up with her pace.

Yesterday I got up relatively early (for a Saturday) and took myself to the gym. I decided to push myself a little and increased the levels on each of the machines I use. By the end of the hour I was about ready to drop, but it was the good kind of exhausted that left me feeling completely satisfied and kind of amazing.

Then, disaster struck. I started sneezing and sniffling and by the time I had walked home and had a shower I was feeling like complete and utter crap. There was no denying it, I had caught a cold from one of my colleagues (I car share with her, I suppose it was inevitable). My plans for doing some hill walking today were cancelled, which was probably for the best because I headed to bed early last night and slept for 16 hours, before spending the rest of my weekend dozing on the sofa feeling incredibly sorry for myself. Something tells me that I probably won't be making the trip to the gym I had planned after work tomorrow.

It's incredibly frustrating, because I have had such a good week exercise wise, and I really felt like I was beginning to turn a corner. I know that a cold is only going to hold me back a few days, but I was keen to keep the momentum going, seeing as my motivation has been very up and down recently and my trekking partner in crime, Ms Motivator, is currently abroad.

While the exercise is starting to improve, I am struggling to find the time to make all the fundraising plans that I had promised Katie I would work on while she is away. I told myself that I would sit and make some proper plans this weekend, but then when I started feeling so pathetic and sorry for myself I decided instead to curl up under a blanket and wallow. That has got to be my focus for the next week. I want Katie to see that I have done something positive when she gets back. As yet, I have done nothing.

Time to stop my wallowing (the Tom Waits isn't helping) and get a decent night's sleep before tackling the small problem of raising £3000 tomorrow.
Sponsor us here

No comments:

Post a Comment