Monday 17 June 2013

wish you were here


My week so far without Katie has been unrelenting. The next few days promise no let up whatsoever. 

Last Tuesday I met up again with Tom, the Personal Trainer, who gave me a programme to help build up my strength. From now on the plan is that I do circuits twice a week (currently involved press ups, pull ups, squats, the plank, step ups etc.) and if everything goes according to plan, a third visit would be spent doing cardio. Of course, on top of that I also have to keep walking up lots of hills and preparing as best I can for September.

All things considered, I think my first session went well. I woke the next morning to my entire body screaming out in pain, which I take as a good sign. They may be simple exercises, but they are exercises I've not really done before, so I was always going to suffer. Life got in the way for the rest of the week and I didn't have plans to return to the gym until the weekend. Sadly, the heavy rain meant I got no hill walking done, and a pulled muscle (crossing a road outside a pub on Saturday night) meant that my plan to go to the gym on Sunday morning had to be abandoned.

I went after work today and managed two circuits (minus the squats which were just hurting my leg too much), before I felt my leg really starting to pull when I began the third circuit with step-ups, so I decided to quit while I was ahead and call it a day. My plan is to take it easy tomorrow and try again on Wednesday. It's hard to find a balance between keeping up the momentum and not making things worse... that's something I have always struggled with.

The good thing is, a lot of the exercises don't require any equipment, so I can do some of them at home, even when I don't have time to go to the gym. It's handy that my flatmate is so short, because I can use the stool from the kitchen she needs to reach food in the cupboards to do step ups etc.

I've been spending a lot of time preparing for the quiz. It looks like we will have about 70 people there (if everyone who has said they are coming shows up), so it promises to be a good night. With a little help from my flatmate I have been writing the questions over the last few days. I've also procured a trophy, and a small prize for the best team name, so all I need now is a prize for the winners. And of course to buy some food for the evening. I am fairly stressed about it, but flatmate is keeping me as calm as possible. I will be glad to have Katie back on Thursday (D-Day), as she is far better at organising than me and I sort of need her to take over.

Once the quiz is done, my focus will switch to a little R&R, as I head off on a much needed fortnight's holiday. I imagine there will be plenty of walking done during that time (4 nights in Munich, 4 nights on Zagreb), and of course I can be good and keep up with the press ups etc (yeah, right).

88 days to go. On the weekend I started to give thought to equipment, and I invested in some of the more important items I will be needed - a waterproof coat and a rucksack. In the next couple of weeks I will share with you our kit-list, because as much as possible I would prefer to beg, steal, or borrow most of the other stuff we apparently need. If you have any of those items and wouldn't mind lending them to me (or Katie) for a while, then please do drop me a line. It would be hugely appreciated.

You know what else we appreciate? YOUR SPONSORSHIP. Go on, you know you want to...

www.bmycharity.com/twoblondesonemountain

No comments:

Post a Comment