Friday 9 August 2013

this one's optimistic?

Apart from the odd couple of days of rain and misery, the weather has been absolutely beautiful since Jo and I got back from our holiday. For what feels like the first time in years, we've had a bit of a 'summer', so I have been making the most of the sunshine and getting a lot of walking done.

Even on days when exercise is the last thing I want to do, Jo and I will force ourselves to go on a walk. If possible, we will walk up a hill, but the walking is the bit that matters most, so even wandering around in Bristol last weekend was beneficial (Bristol, after all, is not exactly flat) and the walk up to my aunt's house where we were staying was painful but great for the training.

I haven't been to the gym much, because I have just felt the need to get out in the sunshine, but I'm trying to get into a routine of doing exercises before bed each evening, including sit-ups, squats etc. We'll see how that goes, but I'm sure with Jo nagging me I'll keep going. She is the one who keeps me going, she comes on walks with me all the time, she pushes me to work hard, she soothes my fears and panics. I don't know what I'd do without her. But don't tell her I said that, she'll get a big head.

With 35 days to go, I am flitting between nervousness, excitement, frustration and a hundred other feelings. I have had days when I've felt so overwhelmed I don't know what to do with myself. When I do have those moments, Katie or Jo will calm me down. I don't really know how Katie is feeling about everything at the moment, life has been so hectic for both of us I feel like we've been a little out of touch, even though we talk at work all the time. We are supposed to have lunch together next week, so I'm looking forward to that.

My weekend plans involve a big walk, and after work this evening we did a short 2.68 mile 'stroll'. I put in a call to my GP surgery, asking a nurse to call me to discuss what jabs I need. As yet, she hasn't called, so I need to be brave and chase that up next week. And I also made an appointment to talk about altitude sickness and other such things at the travel clinic.

I am starting to pull all the equipment together that I need.

Our current total stands at just under £3400.

Today is a day I feel cautiously optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment