Sunday 27 January 2013

Operation Let's Not Die On A Mountain

Let's be clear here. I'm not some fitness freak who has decided to go on a trek for fun (these people actually exist; I even know one of them, she's crazy) and I am under no illusions that this will be easy. I am fairly confident that at points during the next 8 months I am going to wonder what the hell I was thinking. That episode from Big Bang Theory springs to mind, when Walowitz starts to freak out about going into space and tries desperately to find an excuse not to go. I have no doubt that I will be channelling him soon. Of course, Walowitz did go to space, and I will be getting on that plane to Morocco. I might just be in need of either some occasional reassurance or a kick up the ass, and I am lucky enough to have many people in my life who will be prepared to do both.
So here is the story of my first Walowitz moment. On Friday, Ms Motivator and I created our fundraising page. Seeing on the screen just how much money we have to raise was absolutely terrifying. Minimum sponsorship between the two of us is £3100 and it hadn't quite hit me before what a daunting target that was. Reality gave me a bit of a kicking at that point and I started to panic. Can we really raise that much money?
I was cheered today when we had our first donation. Admittedly it was from my parents, but I was very excited and hugely grateful that they had started us on our way. We have a few ideas for fundraising events and my bosses have given their permission for us to fundraise at work so we will be organising some competitions between our buildings (Ms Motivator works in the building on the opposite side of the road to me) and we are already getting pretty competitive about it.
I guess this is the point at which I should link you to our page. You can find us (and donate, should you feel the urge!) here. Alternatively, if you have any suggestions for anything else we can do to raise some money, please get in touch, because we have one hell of a challenge ahead of us and this will only work with your support and involvement.
Training continues, though life has this annoying habit of getting in the way. Obviously on Friday a trip to the pub after work was far more appealing than the gym, and on Saturday morning I woke with a hangover. I did however make it to the gym this morning and I had a really good workout which left me feeling pretty good. Unfortunately I won't be going back until Wednesday evening, because on Tuesday I am staying on at work to help with the internal office move. But I figure that hulking around a bunch of computers can count as a workout, so I won't beat myself up too much for not going for a few days.
Last night I was chatting with some friends and my training seemed to be christened 'Operation Let's Not Die On A Mountain'.  Sounds about right, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment