Wednesday 23 January 2013

out there on the ice


There are two main things of note to report since my last post.
1. Last week, Ms Motivator and I officially paid our deposits for the trek.
2. In the last 6 days, I have been to the gym once.
Now, I know what you're thinking. Surely my commitment to the gym should be increasing at this point, because it's all getting a little bit real now and I'm actually going to have to go through with this. And, well, I don't really want to die, so I need to get my act together and at least attempt to get myself into some kind of shape.
I promise you, I am no less committed than I was a few days ago and my ass will be suitably kicked (probably by Ms Motivator). My plan is to head to the gym after work tomorrow, though this is dependent on when I manage to escape, because I am taking minutes at a meeting in the afternoon which is notorious for over-running.
My excuse for being so crap with training this week is a feeble one. I dragged myself out of bed early on Saturday morning with every intention of going to the gym. I even got so far as leaving home. Unfortunately, the minute I walked up the steps from our basement flat and started the trek down the lane, I realised that I was in trouble. Despite being as prepared as I could be in my shiny new walking boots, the road and pavement was so icy that I couldn't stay on my feet. I'm clumsy at the best of times, but put me on what is essentially an ice rink and I am a hopeless case. I had walked less than 100 metres before I lost my footing, went sliding into the back of a (parked) car, turned around and walked (stumbled/slid) right back to my flat feeling very sorry for myself.
Today, Ms Motivator and I received emails confirming that our bookings had been completed and The James Hopkins Trust have authorised us to do the trek in aid of them. I'm looking at the amount of money we have to raise in the next few months and it's incredibly daunting. But I like a challenge, me. And I'm not used to failure.
Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment